I have been craving a chalkboard door for a long time.  They just look so fun.  I was convinced our pantry door would look incredible with a coat of chalkboard paint.  My husband was not so sure.  I agreed an entire door in chalkboard paint seemed, a) a lot of work, and b) too permanent.  Instead I opted for a cheap, quick, easily removable alternative.

I found a roll of chalkboard vinyl at Michael’s for $4.99.  The roll was only about 17 inches wide, which was just about perfect for the raised panel of my pantry door.  I measured and cut a piece to fit the top half of the door.  I peeled back the first few inches of the backing and carefully lined up the top of the vinyl with the top edge of the raised panel.  After securing the top few inches, I simply pulled the backing off slowly and applied the rest of the vinyl.  I used a credit card to gently smooth out any bubbles.  I think I prefer the raised panel chalkboard look over the full door version.  It seems a bit cleaner…chalk over an entire door could get pretty messy.

Chalkboard vinyl would work on most door styles.  If you don’t have inset or raised panels to “frame” your chalkboard, then consider cutting the vinyl into a cool shape before applying to the door.  For a classic look cut the vinyl into a large oval and apply to the flat door.  For a little more interest, try cutting an ornate border or a shape like a star or animal.

We use our chalkboard to jot notes to each other, to keep a running list of things to pick up at the store, and occasionally the kids like to doodle on it.  I have been toying with the idea of doing the bottom half of the door just for them.  I just have not gotten around to buying another roll of vinyl.

Most recently I drew a sign on the chalkboard to welcome out out of town guests.  I had a little fun with the sign, highlighting the crazy Minnesota government shutdown, which almost jeopardized our planned trip to the Minnesota zoo.

I have since found a few other uses for the excess chalkboard vinyl that I will share in another post soon.

29 Responses to Easy Chalkboard Door

1. [...] Love the idea of some chalkboard paint, or chalkboard paper, on the pantry door from Teal & Lime [...]

2. Courtney says:

That is a really cute idea! I might try it.

3. Carrie says:

I’ve seen this before but worry about the vinyl over time. Have you had peeling? Does it continue to erase?

Hi Carrie,

We have had the vinyl up for over a year now and no issues with peeling. It also erases like a dream. The vinyl erases perfectly clean unlike chalk paint which gets chalky over time. I just use a damp paper towel to wipe the vinyl down.

4. Soo I kind of want to do this to every door in my house now!

5. F-Rose says:

J’adore c’est trop sympa

6. Tracy says:

Love love love this idea. Can I use those bright dry erase markers on this vinyl? And would this work in a Cricut cutter?

7. katie hodgkins says:

Do you think this would work on a fridge?

Katie, I definitely think it would work and it is a great idea. It is removable vinyl, so you can put it pretty much anywhere. I think it would work best on a smooth surface, like the front of the fridge doors vs. the sides which usually have a textured surface.

8. Kim says:

Exactly what I have been looking for! Thanks for sharing.

9. Melissa says:

Jackie–do you remember which section of Michaels you found this chalkboard vinyl? I was there the other day and the lady that works there told me they only carry chalkboard paint…?

10. Cathy says:

I think I am going to try a piece of this on one of my fridge doors. It’s removable so much nicer than the paint.

It would be great for that Cathy. The vinyl is super thin too, so it will almost look painted on. My favorite is how it wipes completely clean with a damp cloth…no chalky mess.

11. Allison says:

I love this and want to do it!!! Is it easily removable? We have an apartment and I don’t want something that can not be removed easily or will ruin what it’s stuck to?

Allison, This vinyl is easily removable. I have only tried it on the pantry door and not a wall, so I can’t vouch for peeling it off the wall.

12. stacy O says:

So My Michaels stores stink! I went to 3 stores AND Lowe’s and finally ended up in Target. I didn’t find that exact thing, but I found chalkboard flower pedals. They came 3 in a box. Cute but not what I wanted.I’ll keep looking

13. Cate says:

love the vinyl but I am TOTALLY in love with the color of your door and trim! do you know the name of the paint

14. Angela says:

What are your ideas as to where to keep the chalk and eraser?

15. colleen says:

another idea would buy your favorite picture frame and put the chalkboard vinyl to the glass then you could hang it (just a idea)

16. Crystal says:

Have you ever used the chalkboard markers on the vinyl? I was wondering how that compared to just using regular chalk. Thanks!

17. Britany says:

Great idea! I just did this on my pantry door and I love the way it looks. What kind of chalk do you use, anything special? I just used what I had on hand, I think it was crayola brand, and it won’t even write on the surface. It is very faint and you can’t even see the writing. Yours looks so vibrant!

18. Olu says:

This is really cool. I wonder if anyone knows how easy it will be to remove if used on dry wall.