Flash Card Organizer

The newest addition to the arts & crafts storage wall is the flash card organizer.  This idea was inspired by a stroll through the school supplies section at Target.  I noticed these index card holders and immediately thought they would be perfect for keeping flash cards.  I secretly hoped the flash cards would fit as I grabbed an index card holder in every color (except red).  They were a dollar each.

Flash Card Organizer

Most of our flash card sets fit in the index card holders.  There were only two exceptions, because the flashcards were oversized.  The flash cards of animals, rhyming words, and numbers from the dollar bin at Target all fit perfectly.  It was a welcome change.  I don’t know about you, but all of our flash card boxes were starting to look like this:

Flash Card Box

I was so excited about the index card holders, I ran out to look for a larger bin to hold them all (and maybe get a few more).  I found the ITSO narrow tray in translucent plastic.  It was the perfect width to hold the index card holders.  It was less than $5.  It could hold up to 10 index card holders, so of course I had to grab 5 more.  Since I did not have 10 sets of flash cards at home for the kids, I swung by the dollar section to grab some more.  I found Flags of the World, a couple sorting games, and dinosaurs for $1 each.  Here is an assortment of flash cards we have from Target:

Flash Cards

Once I got this all put together, I realized I need more label paper for my Dymo to label each index card holder.  I am so excited about the flash cards now.  They are so neat and colorful.  They fit perfectly between the paper boxes and magazine racks in the arts & crafts center.  I hope the kids will have lots of fun with them.  I think this would make a wonderful present for any young child.  The total cost including the new flash card sets was $20.

17 Responses to Flash Card Organization

1. SweetP says:

Thank you for sharing. I was hoping someone would come up with a solution for storing flash cards. I hate the boxes that get torn.

2. Katie says:

Such a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

3. christy says:

Love this idea – where did you find the dinosaur flashcards? Were those from Target too??

4. Kory says:

Oh how I wish I’d seen this sooner, I’ve been looking for a way to organize our flash cards and this is brilliant! Unfortunately target is out of the card holders…

5. Kalene says:

I just love ur craft area! In fact u have inspired me & I have purchased the exact same set up a u have! I love the index card holder. While Target was out of then I finally found them at Staples. What isle at Target did u find the ITSO translucent container? I can’t find anything to fit my index cards locally. Thanks so much for posting this! Our 3 & 5 yr. girls even love being organized w/ it. Even the 3 yr. old puts the play-doe back where it belongs:0)

That’s awesome Kalene. Those ITSO containers can be tough to find. It seems like they keep moving them around at our store. But I just saw them the other day in the aisles with closet organization stuff. I am sure if you ask at customer service they will be able to help you find them.

6. Kalene says:

Thank you so for getting back w/ me! I was just at Target today before I seen your post. I didn’t see them, but next time I’m at Target I will foresure ask someone:0). Seriously a BIG thank you for helping me organize my office/kid craft area:0).

7. shirley says:

I started using these a couple of years ago..I found them at Big-lots for 1.00/ at Walgreen’s for $1.00 sometimes a little special coupon for .59 ..they are great..I also make my own vocabulary and math cards..and now always have a box for them..

8. Simone Schwartz says:

What a great idea! I’m a teacher and am always looking for new ways to keep my classroom tidy and organized. I’m going to do this with sets of playing cards too, as we use often use them for math games, and the kids often don’t close them properly (which ends up being a mess) and the boxes always fall apart. Thanks!!

9. Becky Schmitt says:

Hi Jackie,

Where did you get the blue boxes that say Jose’ and Jack? What do you keep in them? I love your organization!

Thanks, Becky

Hi Becky,
      The blue paper boxes are from the Container Store. They are for storing the boys artwork. I got the larger size paper boxes, so even art on large sheets of construction paper can sit flat inside. Once these are full, I will move them to another spot and put out two new boxes to fill.

10. Deborah says:

Where did you find the clear box that you put the little colored boxes in?

Deborah,
      The clear box is also from Target. It is in the closet storage area. It is part one of the ITSO storage bins.

11. Terri Porter says:

I think this has the makings of a “circle” story. Call it “If You Give a Mom an Index Card Holder”. She’ll ask for a large bin to put them in. She’ll see there’s room for more so she will ask for more Flash Cards. :) Great idea! SLP’s will love this for their decks of speech sound cards.

12. Michelle says:

I love this idea. Our flash card boxes look just like yours and I ended up just throwing them all in a plastic shoe box. I’ll have to pick up some index card holders now. THanks

13. Cheryl says:

I started using these flash card boxes last year. I got them at WalMart for 88 cents each. However during the year when I had new students, I couldn’t find them. I improvised with soap containers and just made my word cards smaller. The kids loved taking them home to study the words and no one lost any. They were so proud of them.