The chairs are done!!! They turned out fabulous, if I do says so myself. I decided to just use the Prakesh tablecloth fabric, from my dining room inspiration board, on the head chairs. It makes the head chairs special and allows the pattern to pop. You can see the full back of one of the head chairs from the foyer. On the other end of the table you see the pattern “continue” on the other head chair.
They involved a little bit of tricky construction, but overall they were easier to make than I thought. If you recall, I used a $10 slipcover from Ikea to make a slipcover pattern. With the pieces of the slipcover as a guide, I reconstructed my own slipcovers using the following steps:
- I prewashed the tablecloths and some plain white broadcloth (more on that in step 4).
- I used my dissected slipcover as pattern pieces to cut out the Prakesh tablecloths. To ensure the pattern lined up perfectly down the center of the chairs. I fold each pattern piece in half and laid the folds along the centerline of the tablecloth.
- I opened each centered pattern piece and pinned it to the tablecloth. I cut out each piece from the tablecloth. Yes, the naked pink chairs sat around the table cheering me on.
- The tablecloth fabric was too thin to cover the pink foam of the naked chairs. I had to cut out matching fabric pieces in white broadcloth. I used the longest stitch on my sewing mahine to baste the broadcloth to the wrongside of the tablecloth pieces. This combination covered the pink foam and made for a nice crisp white slipcover.
- I assembled the top half off the slicpover first, to get my feet wet. This involved pinning the front pattern piece to the back piece. The back piece wraps around to cover the sides and has tight curves at the top corners. I used lots of pins to secure the corners and then basted them together on my sewing machine. I pinned the straight edges about 1″ in from the edge. That allowed me to quickly run it through my serger without removing the pins. I serged the entire seam connecting the front and back pieces with a 4-thread overlock stitch.
- Here is where I paused to try the top half on the chair. I was fully prepared to
crygive up if it did not fit. Luckily, it fit like a glove.
- With confidence after Step 5, I proceeded by assembling the seat portion of the slipcover. The bottom half of the slipcover included the seat, the front apron, and the two side aprons. I serged the short sides connecting the apron pieces together in one long strip. Then I pinned the apron to the seat. The sharp curves at the corners required lots of pins and a little basting. Then I serged the apron to the seat.
- Here is where I paused to try the bottom half on the chair. I was fully prepared to
crygive up again if this part did not fit. Luckliy, it fit too.
- Now to connect the top half and bottom half together to create one complete slipcover. This part was easy. I just serged the appropriate seams together to connect the top half to the seat.
- Okay…I know I am paraniod, but I just had to try the whole thing on the chair again before I put in anymore effort. There is nothing worse than completing a whole project only to find out it does not fit. Lukily, it fit really well.
- The last step was to hem the bottom edges around the apron and attach velcro to secure it around the frame of the chair. Before hemming, I finished the edges of the apron with the 4-thread overlock stitch on my serger. Then I folded them up 1/4″ and hemmed with my sewing machine. I attached 4 strips of velcro to each side. The slipcover pulls tightly around the bottom of the chair frame and attaches with velcro. They don’t even look like slipovers at all.
Update: I also used one of these tablecloths to create an easy slipcovered bench.
Hi, I’m Jackie
I believe your home should be a reflection of you. My home style is DIY Modern…handmade, simple, and fun, just like me!
Learn More About Me
Join Me on Facebook