Today I want to share a tutorial to turn a plain drum shade into a statement piece for less than $10.  I made my own drum shade pendant for less than $75, but I wanted to dress it up a bit.  I originally planned to stencil a design on the shade, but the fabric on the shade has a lot of texture and I was nervous about getting a crisp design with a stencil.  I brainstormed a fabulous alternative to create a modern design with appliquéd fabric.  I love, love, love the way this turned out.  The pattern and color are so crisp.

Lampshade Applique

Here is how I did it:

Supplies:

• Drum Shade (circumference at the top and bottom of the shade is the same)
  • Fabric (I used solid-color quilting cotton)
  • Fusible web
  • Mini Craft Iron (with a 50% off coupon you can get one for less than $20)
  • Sharp scissors
  • Clothespins
Step by step:
  1. Measure your shade height and circumference.  If the shade has a binding at the top and bottom, measure the height from the inside edge of the bottom binding to the inside edge of the top binding.
  2. Using the measurements from Step 1, cut out a rectangle piece of fusible web.
  3. Create your design.  Geometric designs work great for this project.  I decided on a quatrefoil design, which I designed to fit evenly within the size of my rectangle.  Learn more about how I chose my fabric and created my design. Hand Drawn Quatrefoil Design
  4. Trace your design onto the paper side of the fusible web.  Tip: For a complicated design, shade in the areas to be cut away. Trace design onto fusible web
  5. Iron the fusible web onto the wrong side of your fabric.
  6. Trim fabric to same size as fusible web rectangle.
  7. Cut out your design to remove all the shaded areas.  I also split my design into three sections to make it more manageable.  Quatrefoil Applique Design
  8. “Dry fit” your design by lining up each section around the drum shade with the fusible web side against the shade.  Use clips or clothespins to hold the fabric in place.   Drum Shade Applique
  9. Starting with one section, peel the paper backing off the fusible webbing and repin the fabric to the shade.  Line the fabric up very carefully. Preparing to applique a lampshade
  10. Use the mini craft iron on medium heat to fuse the fabric design to the lamp shade.  Use light pressure and keep the iron moving to avoid denting or warping the lamp shade. Mini Craft Iron

The finished lampshade is beautiful!  You would never know it didn’t come this way.  The thin cotton fabric fused so smoothly, it looks like part of the fabric on the shade.

Drum Shade Close Up

This lampshade is right at home in our breakfast nook where we eat all of our meals.  The green coordinates with the bits of green in the chair back covers.  I love the boldness of the light now!

Drum Shade Pendant Light

Sharing this post here:

Dittle Dattle
Making Monday Marvelous Link Party
Under the Table and Dreaming
Home Stories A2Z
The Idea Room
House of Hepworths
Shabby Nest

35 Responses to Quatrefoil Drum Shade Pendant Light

1. Katie says:

This is awesome!! I never would have thought to use fabric with fusible interfacing!! I love the colors and the design you came up with is great!

2. What a great idea! The lampshade turned out just beautiful. Visiting you from SSP.

3. What a great tutorial! You’re right, the pattern looks like it has always been on that shade. You did an excellent job! Stopping by from Beth’s party!

4. kriste says:

I have also had Carrie’s drum lights bookmarked for a couple of months now and have been scheming on how to make a similar light fixture for my breakfast area. I found a plain linen drum at Target but it needs some jazziness! I would have never thought to cut the design and applique it on. What a fabulous idea!

5. What a great idea! It looks awesome! I love it!

6. Jamie says:

This looks amazing! I can’t believe you did it by hand…I am lazy and use the cricut for everything! And I love the color, lime green is my favorite!

I’m following you on FB now :) I would love if you came by and checked out my blog when you get a chance.

jamie@sewrockin.com

Jamie,

Haha…I cut so much by hand it is ridiculous. I totally need a cricut or silhouette…hmmm wonder if my hubby reads blog comments and will pick up on this hint for a Christmas present. A girl can wish, right?

Anyway, I just checked out your blog…and professed my love for your burlap monogram on Facebook and Twitter.

7. Jessica says:

I am in love with this. Awesome choice on the color too. It contrasts well with the shade!

8. Beautiful!! I’m amazed you cut it by hand! And using the mini iron was a great idea.

9. I love this idea, and your execution was flawless. I am unfamiliar with many of the techniques you used for this project and am eager to learn more. Thank you for sharing, your pendant turned out beautiful.

10. I love it!, Yes you need a silhouette!

11. Lindsey says:

Love it!!! And the fabric really does look like it came on the shade in the first place!

12. Love this shade! You did an amazing job :)

13. amy says:

c’mon! if i didn’t see the before shots, i’d never believe you did this on your own! fab! and thanks for telling me about the fusible web.

must find something to fuse!!

amy

14. Carrie says:

I thought for sure it was fabric, I can’t believe you made that pattern. Impressive, and VERY well done! Question: did you put paper or anything on the bottom to soften the light from the bulb? I’ve wanted to make one of these for years but what’s holding me back is wondering if the light is too bright. Thanks in advance for your help, and again, great job!

15. Samantha says:

I love this. And I am impressed with your planning, that is the hardest part for me. Math- who knew we would need it for crafting?! :)

Samantha,
      I know…and I don’t even like math. Unfortunately I tend to over-complicate things which usually requires extra calculating. I need to try harder sometimes to keep it simple :)

16. [...] Melaine from My Sweet Savannah made these fantastic key hooks from wood blocks. Create a quatrefoil drum shade combining fusible web and fabric with Jackie over at Teal and Lime.  Alissa made these [...]

17. Stephanie says:

Great idea! I would love to try it. Where did you get the drum shade?

18. Maureen says:

This is AMAZING! And I love that mini-iron. I have never seen one before…MUST HAVE!
    I’d love for you to link up to my very first Fresh Friday Link Party! http://www.releasemecreations.com/2011/10/fresh-fridays-link-party.html
    -Maureen

Maureen,

Definitely find your self a mini iron. They are so great and I think much safer for crafting. I am heading over to check out your link party.

19. Hi Jackie – I love what you have done with your shade – the technique looks so much better than a stencil or fabric wrapped around the shade. I am going to link on my DIY page – love it!

My best- Diane

20. Fabulous idea. The green pattern really punches it up!

21. Andrea says:

I love this Jackie. I recently featured you http://decoratingcents.blogspot.com/2011/11/trends-drum-chandeliers.html. Please come by and grab a button.

22. Your pendant is gorgeous Jackie! I’ve got this linked to my quatrefoil post too today, well done!

23. Linda says:

love, love, love the drum shade! You are amazing!…. and apparently listened better than I did in math :)
    Is there anywhere I can get the applique? Thanks! You rock sista!

Linda

24. Tania says:

absolutely gorgeous!

25. Love your blog (teal and lime might be my most favorite colors!!!) and this project featuring quatrefoil (one of my favorite patterns!) so I featured your project in my roundup of crafty quatrefoil projects here. Feel free to check it out and hope you like it!

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

26. [...]  Quatrefoil Drum Shade Pendant Light ~ Transform a plain drum shade into a statement piece with this tutorial using appliquéd [...]

27. That is amazing! I already have a pendant light that is really boring and beige. This is the perfect solution :)