Perhaps my biggest and best DIY project of 2011 was starting Teal & Lime in June, but what really made that possible was all the great home DIY projects I had to share. Here is a recap of the 10 most popular DIY projects I completed and shared here in 2011. I found it interesting that the posts with the most page views also happen to be my personal favorite projects.
1. DIY Ruched Tree Skirt – this project made the rounds on blogs and Pinterest, how can you not love a beautiful, easy to make tree skirt for $12? Some readers commented that they used an old tablecloth making the project free. Another reader made a two layer version with just the plain skirt made from a tablecloth topped by the another ruched tablecloth. I plan to add the plain layer in a contrasting color under my ruched version next year.
2. Reverse Applique Helvetica Stockings – these were made last year long before this blog started, but I decided to share them this year. The response to unique, non-traditional stockings was overwhelming, plus lots of people love Helvetica.
3. DIY Mercury Glass – this was a touch and go project. I was unsure during it if it was going to turn out, but I had faith because the vases were so beautiful it just had to work out. Thankfully it did. These vases graced our dining room table and now sit proudly in our family room built-ins. This project also started a mild obsession with mercury glass resulting in a complete mercury glass Christmas tree makeover.
4. Dining Chair Slipcovers from a Tablecloth – I bought a tablecloth for use at our Milk and Cookies party, but ended up loving it so much I ordered a few more and turned them into dining chair slipcovers. This project also spawned DIY dyed slipcovers for the other chairs and an easy upholstered bench project for even more seating.
6. Arts and Crafts Storage Center – mega storage in one yard of wall space. This project was an obsession for me as we transitioned our boys to staying home full-time with a nanny. I wanted them to still have a classroom environment with a fully stocked arts center. Luckily we have a large laundry room with a 36″ x 54″ dining table serving as a project table, but that left little room for a storage area. Ikea came to the rescue.
7. DIY Drum Shade Pendant Light – another lighting project, actually the third since this blog started (if you count the new globe pendant lights we installed in the kitchen). We are on a roll replacing all the builder fixtures we do not like.
9. Flash Card Organization – sometimes the simplest ideas become the most popular. When I saw these plastic index card holders during back to school time, I knew they would be a great way to store sets of flashcards. These found a spot in the arts and crafts storage wall.
10. DIY Glass Milk Bottles – my favorite reusable DIY project. I first “made” these glass milk bottles for my son’s one year milk and cookies themed birthday party. Now I have 18 of these in my party supplies, which can be reused over and over again.
I hope you enjoyed this roundup and maybe found a few new projects you missed the first time around. I am so excited to move into 2012 with Teal & Lime well underway. I have many more DIY projects planned for 2012 and I will be sharing them all here.
REVIVE ONE ROOM IN YOUR HOME THIS WEEK
In just 15 minutes a day for 5 days, you can refresh one room. Without spending a dime.
Start your free 5-day Decorating Do Over Challenge and get exclusive sneak peeks of my book Free Decorating.
Hooray! Please check your email for the mini course welcome message.
Hi, I'm Jackie
I believe you are the best person to decorate your home and I'm here to help.
Learn More About Me
Join Me on Facebook