I now have two rooms in my house with a teal and lime color scheme, but they each have a completely different feel. Different choices in the application of the colors lends a different feel to each room. The same colors are preppy and playful in the nursery, yet sophisticated and romantic in the dining room.

Teal and Lime Room Colors

In the nursery I used Plumage by Martha Stewart from floor to ceiling. It envelopes the room in the dark, bold color. The lime is brought in on playful accents, like the bubbly fabric, toy bins, as well as the grellow striped curtains. The curtains make the room youthful and preppy.

Modern Animal Theme Nursery

The bubbly fabric at the bottom of the curtains and on the crib skirt adds a bit of whimsy to the room.  The white and natural wood furniture keeps the room bright.

Modern Teal Nursery

In the dining room I used the same Plumage paint (actually leftover from the nursery), but only above the board and batten. The boldness of the dark color is tempered by the white, sophisticated board and batten wall treatment. The lime accents are only in small doses on the family silhouette art, the monogram, and in some of the accessories. The contrast in the green silhouettes with the teal walls is softened by mounting the silhouettes on large white canvases.

Modern romantic teal dining room

Dark wood furniture keeps the room feeling formal and elegant.  Addition of smoke blue drapes and head chair fabric, and charcoal grey on the side chairs tames the bold teal and lime combination.

Teal Dining Room

Have you ever reused the same color palette with totally different results?

10 Responses to Two Rooms: Same Colors, Different Feel

1. Tanja says:

I love it! And where is your cabinet in the dining room from?

Thanks Tanja. The armoire is from Room & Board. It is dark bamboo and we love it. We got it years ago and used to use it for our TV. I believe they still carry it in their current catalog.

2. If I would have seen these two rooms with out the article, I would have never guessed they shared so much of the same color scheme! I love how unique they both look!

3. emily says:

Love this! You really make it work in both places.

4. Rachael says:

Where is your nursery furniture from in the nursery (dresser, crib & storage shelf)? I’m getting ready to start designing my nursery and you’ve given me some great ideas! Thanks!

Rachael,

The nursery furniture is the Moda collection from Room & Board. We make frequent pilgrimages to the Minneapolis outlet to furnish our house. When I was pregnant and sick with my oldest, my hubby made the trips without me. He fended off two pregnant ladies to get an awesome deal on the crib. He made his pregnant lady very happy :)

5. Hi there. Saw your beautiful dining room on YHL and just HAD to stop by. Let me just say as a color junkie, I LOVE both of these scrumptious spaces. They are so full of life and are wonderfully inviting. Great job! I’ll be subscribing now!

6. Absolutely LOVE the curtains!

7. Sandra says:

Love your nursery. Where did you get the changing pad?