Since I am practically begging you to take a moment and vote for Teal & Lime as the Best DIY Blog, the least I could do today is share an awesome DIY project with you!

Remember the last bug party update?  Well, I turned the inexpensive laser cut wood frames, sheet moss, and some homemade fabric ribbon into party signage.  I made this framed moss for party decor, but the look is so stunning it would make great everyday decor too.

Framed Moss Party Decor

Framed Moss How To

Supplies:

Framed Moss Tutorial

• Frames (found at Michaels for $3-7)
  • Sheet Moss (found at Joanns in 18 x 48″ roll for $16)
  • Hot Glue Gun & Glue
  • Cotton Fabric (from my fabric stash)

Step by Step:

1.  Measure the inside opening of the frame.

Framed Moss Tutorial

2.  Cut the sheet moss about a 1/4″ larger than the picture frame opening all the way around.

Framed Moss Tutorial

3.  On the back of the frame apply a bead of hot glue around the picture opening close to the edge.

Framed Moss Tutorial

4. Turn the frame over and lay on top of the moss.  Press firmly around the picture opening.

Framed Moss Tutorial

5.  Flip the frame over and spot check for any edges of the moss that did not stick down to the glue.  Lift up the edge of the moss and squeeze in some more glue.  Press the moss back in place.

Framed Moss Tutorial

6.  Tear an 18″ length of cotton fabric to make “ribbon”.  Cut 1/2″ slits in the cut edge of your fabric (not the finished selvedge side) the desired width of your ribbon.  I made my ribbon 1″ wide.  Grab the fabric on each side of the slit and rip it down the length of the fabric.  It will rip in a straight line and the edges will get a tiny bit frayed in the process.

Framed Moss Tutorial

7.  Fold your 18″ ribbon in half.

Framed Moss Tutorial

8.  Pull the cut ends of your folded ribbon up through the back of the hole at the top of the frame.

Framed Moss Tutorial

9.  Pull the cut ends through the fabric loop.

Framed Moss Tutorial

10.  Continue pulling and cinch the fabric down around the hole at the top of the frame.

Framed Moss Tutorial

11.  Tie a knot about 1″ from the cut ends of the fabric to form a hanging loop.

12.  Hang and enjoy!

Framed Moss Tutorial

Don’t they look great?  These may find a permanent home as wall decor after the bug party.  For the party, I will be hanging the large frame from  a wreath hanger on the front door.  It will become a welcome sign.  The smaller frames will be perched on photo easels to be used as signage around the party.  I think little paper buntings, like the one from the tiny welcome party, will be the perfect embellishment over the moss to turn them into signs.

Sharing this tutorial here:
Tatertots and Jello
Under the Table and Dreaming
Home Stories A2Z
Today’s Creative Blog
A Bowl Full of Lemons

19 Responses to Framed Moss {Tutorial}

1. Emily Rose says:

How long ago did you get the frames? That’s what I’ve been looking for!

I just got them, but at the store by work. My local store just got them in last weekend. They have a new wood crafts section!

2. That’s such a unique project. It would be fun to make on for my gallery wall as a conversational piece.

3. This is really getting me in the mood for spring! So easy but really a big impact:)I would be thrilled if you stopped by linky party going on all weekend!
    Kim@ Too Much Time On My Hands

4. Oh that is just LOVELY! I found you on Tater Tots and Jello. I’d love to have you link up with us for Fun Stuff Fridays linky party at Toys In The Dryer. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/03/fun-stuff-fridays-13.html

5. Very cool – love the frames!

6. Alicia says:

I am totally loving moss these days. These are so cute!

7. Rachel says:

This is so pretty! The bunting will look perfect on this!!!

I have a project party every weekend if you want to join here: http://bubblynaturecreations.com/2012/03/project-party-weekend-pretty-striped-pencils-tutorial.html#comment-1250

I hope to see you there! xoxo- Rachel

8. Jenny says:

What a cool idea. Love it.

9. April says:

What a wonderful idea, I love the look of moss, and have a really nice moss garden out in my yard, this would be perfect for spring decor update. Wonderful!!

10. Kristin says:

I love this…it’s so clever!

11. Super cute – I think I’ll be copying for some great spring decor.

12. Kelley says:

This is really cool. It looks like a nice way to bring some “nature” into my apartment.

13. I love this idea! A few weeks ago I snagged a few of these frames and felt like I’d hit the jackpot! Seeing your design, I am rethinking what I was going to do with them! Thanks for sharing!

14. Jennifer says:

Springy perfection! This is probably my favorite use of moss I’ve seen!

15. I love your mossy wall art!! This looks just beautiful and I like the way you’ve hung them too, thanks for that tip. I’ve got this post linked to my moss DIY post too today, for inspiration!

16. Laura says:

I just found these cute frames at my local Michaels, today. I am going to paint our family initial black, hang it on the wall and then hang the frame around the initial. I’m hoping it turns out cute. Wish me luck :) Love your website!