I believe in the power of DIY to transform a house into a home. A huge component of my eDecor services is DIY project recommendations to finish off a space. I suggest DIY projects that save money, help personalize a space, and are truly unique touches. For Kari’s basement eDecor plan I included a lot of DIY ideas. With the mood board, swap options board, and these DIY ideas Kari can create a beautiful DIY modern family room.
- Closet Door Makeover – Add inexpensive bifold closet doors to the closet under the stairs. A little trim makes them look like custom doors.
- Leather Strap Closet Pulls – Add even more interest to the closet doors with leather pulls.
- Decorative Shelves – In the wall space to the left and right of the TV, consider hanging decorative shelves to display books, family pictures, and decor.
- Thrifted Dresser TV Stand – Such a great alternative to both media centers I showed you. Find an old dresser and add a little paint. The drawers are great for storing DVDs and video games.
- Apple Crate Bookshelves – Were you waiting for me to address the built in area? I love this idea of stacking crates to create a bookshelf. This type of unit could easily be fit inside your built in space. The lower crates would be a great place to keep kids snacks and books. One could even be turned over to cover the equipment at the bottom. The upper “shelves” can be reserved for decor.
- Ikea Hack Desk – A great, inexpensive alternative for the sofa table/desk and you could paint it any color you want. A pear green would be gorgeous.
- Personal Art - Use this amazing tutorial to create pop art of each of your children. Group the four portraits to the right of the window for an amazing focal point when you walk in the room.
Pulling together DIY ideas for a room is like second nature to me. It is also my favorite part of creating an eDecor plan. Kari wasted no time putting ideas into action. She sent me a note the day after receiving her completed eDecor plan to share a picture of the dresser she scored for $15. Can’t wait to see it once she has transformed it into her media center.
Have a space you need help with?
My mood boards are like a visual shopping list for your perfect room. In addition to the mood board, I include a free DIY ideas board for the room. Get yours here.
Hi, I'm Jackie
I believe your home should be a reflection of you. My home style is DIY Modern…handmade, simple, and fun, just like me!
Learn More About Me
Sponsors & Affiliates