I loved pulling together this mood board for Kari’s basement. Kari was drawn to beautiful slate blues, pear and lime greens. I knew instantly I wanted to mix in a lot of light wood tones. Kari’s basement hosts up to 24 neighborhood kids at a time, so lots of flexible seating was a must. She had an existing sectional to keep in the space, but I was still able to create a plan to add 8-9 additional seats. I titled the mood board “High Style Hang Out” to reflect Kari’s desire for a kid-friendly, but not kid-like space.
Kari was another test subject as I prepared to offer mood board services. I created Kari’s eDecor plan for free in exchange for her feedback on the process and for sharing all the details of her plan with you. So, here is the complete source list for the High Style Hang Out mood board:
The Paint Color (background of mood board) is BM Smoke 2122-40 – A perfect steel blue back drop for pops of green and mixed wood tones.
- Semi-Flush Drum Light – Lighting will be key to making this space welcoming. A simple drum shade pendant will provide soft light for the whole space.
- Wire Locker Baskets – Bring in a little industrial look, another hint of green, and maximize storage with these wire baskets.
- Stripe Throw – A nice thick throw with the perfect chartreuse and grey stripes.
- Hedge Embroidered Pillow – Beautiful embroidered pattern and perfect colors to tie the whole room together.
- Fern Pillow – Cozy up to this rich velvet pillow. Throwing in a few solid pillows will help the other patterned pillows shine.
- Slate Bolster Pillows – More velvet, but in slate blue bolsters this time. These make great neck rolls for laying down to watch a movie or cuddling up with a good book.
- Sky Pillow – Another yummy velvet pillow in a soothing sky blue.
- Thomas Paul Aviary Pillow Cover – Just a touch of whimsy with this aviary patterned pillow.
- Boys and Girls Hooks – These are so cool. I think they would work great hung near the stairs. Place a canvas tote bag on each hook…one for each of your children. Anything that should go back upstairs gets placed in the tote waiting to be put away.
- Whitewash Modern Weave Bins – More storage bins! Love the simplicity and the light color of these bins.
- Sentry Oak Work Table – A simple table in natural oak. A desk or console table…I will show you both options in the layout.
- Ada Chair – A brushed nickel version of a classic bistro chair. A few of these at the oak table gives you a makeshift desk or snack spot. Can’t hurt to have a few extra seats for guests.
- Knitted Pouf - A couple of these do double duty as foot rests or extra seats.
- Octagon Bowl – This is just such a great piece. The pop of chartreuse from the inside is amazing.
- Carpenter Carbon Lamp – For task lighting at the desk, or swivel it over the sectional or chair for a reading light.
- Bamboo Jute Baskets – Enough storage yet? These baskets would be great for holding throw blankets and magazines.
- Axis Side Table – The soft grey top and natural wood legs make this a perfect side table for the space. Between the chairs it will be perfect for setting down a drink or bowl of popcorn.
- Slipper Chairs – The scale of these armless chairs will allow you to get two more seats in the room. The grey and white pattern will be beautiful against the blue walls.
- Tuscan Trellis Green Rug - This green beauty will ground your space and infuse that great green color.
- Cube Ottoman – A trio of these near the stairs serves as a bench, but each can be moved around individually for extra seating.
- Mango Wood Sunburst Mirror – This oversized beauty will fill wall space above the sectional and add a little shine to the room.
- Blue Notch Vases – A great accent for the built ins or on the console next to the TV.
- Media Center – Simple lines, shelves for components, a little concealed storage, and a beautiful grey wash finish.
Later this week I will also be sharing the swap options board and DIY ideas board I created for Kari.
Have a space you need help with?
My mood boards are like a visual shopping list for your perfect room. In addition to the mood board, I include a free DIY ideas board for the room. Get yours here.
Hi, I'm Jackie
I believe your home should be a reflection of you. My home style is DIY Modern…handmade, simple, and fun, just like me!
Learn More About Me