Just because a space needs to be kid-friendly, doesn’t mean it needs to look kid-like. On the flip side a well-styled adult-looking, but still kid-friendly space, can still have room for fun. When I put together Kari’s eDecor Plan for her high style basement hang out, I used the swap options board as an opportunity to show her some fun options for the space. Kari’s kids range in age from 1 to pre-teen, but she didn’t want the space to be just a kid space. Her basement is the family hangout. I wanted to make it more polished, but still leave some room for whimsy.
The swap options board is intended to give alternate or additional ideas for the main mood board. Everybody likes options right? The trick here is the swap options board is a group of curated options that easily work with the rest of the design. In Kari’s case, she could pull from the swap options board to inject a little more fun end edge into her space…she can go as little or as far as she wants.
Below is the High Style Hang Out swap options board. It features edgier chartreuse colors, punchier patterns, and some whimsical lighting options.
- Marquee Light – This cool rusty marquee light would be a fun way to bring a little whimsy into the room. Would be fun hanging above the TV or grouped with your existing movie reels.
- Arc Lamp – Instead of a new overhead light, consider this arcing lamp to provide more light directly over the sectional.
- Ceilo Sectional – The stock fabric on this sectional looks fabulous with the blue walls. The armless style makes this a more petite option for the space without losing any seating. The armless style also makes for more configuration options. (Shown: Two love seat sections, one corner section, and one chaise)
- Odeon Rug - For a mod look with more of a chartreuse green, this rug would really brighten up the space.
- Go Cart Media Center – A unique open storage idea for the media center. Use the modern weave baskets from the mood board to organize games and movies on the lower shelf.
- Candace Olson Rug – For a more traditional look this rug brings the wall color onto the floor.
- Teak Desk – A budget friendly alternative to the oak work table. Great hairpin legs. Only downside is it seats one. Solve that by turning it perpendicular and putting a chair on each side.
- Pop Wall Sconces – Just a fun lighting option.
- Aegean Slipper Chair – A budget friendly option in a beautiful fabric.
- Twist Side Table - A more natural, sculptural side table option. Also more budget friendly.
You may have noticed, I included a sectional on this board. Originally, Kari planned to keep her existing sectional, but then had second thoughts after seeing the sectional in the “before” pictures she took. I assured her we could fit her existing sectional in the plan, but I would also give her a more streamlined style to consider. I suggested the great sectional above, but using the dimensions of Kari’s existing sectional I proposed two new configurations to make it work. Here are the space planning suggestions I gave Kari:
Option 1 was working within the existing layout, but removing the corner section of the sectional to open up the space. Option 2 was flipping the entire arrangement of the room, putting the full sectional on the opposite wall. This layout freed the sectional from feeling trapped by the built in bookcase. My favorite space plan is option 2, flipping the entire room around. Don’t ever let the location of a cable drop determine your room layout. This layout allows for a console/desk behind the sectional. With a couple chairs pulled up it offers a desk space, eating space, craft space…while still having view of the TV.
Have a space you need help with?
My mood boards are like a visual shopping list for your perfect room. In addition to the mood board, I include a free DIY ideas board for the room. Get yours here.
Take a Free Decorating Class Today
Get instant access to my best decorating secrets. Enter your name and email address to watch the free Styling Secrets Workshop now.
This free class is only available for a limited time so make sure you watch before Oct. 11th.
You're in! Please check your email for access to the workshop.
Hi, I'm Jackie
I believe you are the best person to decorate your home and I'm here to help.
Learn More About Me
Join Me on Facebook