I am so excited to share Missy’s kitchen transformation with you. Several of you have asked for after pictures from my mood board clients, but it takes people a while to pull their room together and take photos. Missy surprised me earlier this week with her {almost} after pictures. She still plans a few more updates.

I also often get asked if I can help with kitchens when the homeowner doesn’t want to change the cabinets, counters, or floors.  This post is an example of how a custom mood board can help in any room, even in a kitchen where none of the fixtures changed.

Before: Blah Kitchen

Missy’s kitchen is literally the center of her house with doors in and out to pretty much every other room on the main floor.  Missy’s kitchen started out pretty plain.  The cabinets were blending into the walls, but not in a good way.  There was no softness to the room.

kitchenbefore

Mood Board: Courtyard Kitchen

The mood board was titled “Courtyard Kitchen”.  I recommended light blue walls reminiscent of the sky, glass tiles, and darker blue accents to compliment the kitchen cabinets.  I recommended lots of textiles (for a kitchen anyway).  Fabric is important for adding texture, softness, and warmth to any room.

PageLines- courtyardkitchen.gif

After: Like a Breath of Fresh Air

The after pictures are breath-taking!!!  Right after receiving their completed mood board, Missy and her hubby spent an evening with paint.  I love that they did a little date night DIY to get this project done.  They had a lot of wall space to cover.

Kitchen makeover

They also took a recommendation from the DIY Ideas board and painted the kitchen island white.  It helps break up all the wood cabinetry.  Missy even transformed the top half of her pantry door with chalkboard vinyl, inspired by my pantry door.  With so many doors in the room, the chalkboard door is special now.

Kitchen Makeover

Missy added the curtain panels to her breakfast nook giving the kitchen a dose of pattern and softness.  She also added the striped runner in front of the stove, which adds more pattern and helps break up the sea of tile in this large kitchen.

kitchen makeover

Missy tiled the back splash with glass tile.  They took the tile straight up to the ceiling which looks stunning behind their beautiful range hood.

kitchen makeover

What do you think?  Pretty amazing right?!  Just goes to show what some paint and fabric can do to makeover a space.  A big thank you to Missy for sharing.

Have a space you need help with?

My mood boards are like a visual shopping list for your perfect room.  In addition to the mood board, I include a free DIY ideas board for the room.  Get yours here.

15 Responses to Mood Board Before & After: Missy’s Courtyard Kitchen

1. Amy Fretz says:

Beautiful work: inviting, stylish, functional, modern and updated!

2. Sara says:

I have been contemplating painting my island white to break up all the brown FOREVER. I even have the paint but haven’t done it yet second guessing myself. After seeing this, I’m definitely doing it and am going to try to convince my husband it would be a good date night project to do together this weekend :)

3. Rachel says:

Jackie this is awesome! It makes me even more excited about my mood board, since I basically asked you for the same thing…no changes to cabinets, counters or floor. Patiently waiting.

4. BrookeJ says:

love the tile with that wall color! (I think they need to go all the way and paint their cabinets navy!) Fantastic mood board.

5. Roxanne says:

This looks great! I would love to see the side-by-side before and after in future posts, just to really emphasize all the changes. Great job to you on the mood board and to Missy for implementing it so beautifully.

6. Michelle says:

I love the mood board and the photos what a difference. Can you tell me where to get the area rug shown on the mood board #10. I have been searching for something in the kitchen and I think this might work. Again great job!

7. Britnye says:

Looks great. I would say the only thing I would add would be hardware to the cabinets.

8. Jessie says:

compliments to the designer and the homeowners! the kitchen looks fabulous!

9. Stella says:

Love the curtains. I’ve been looking for curtains similar. This definitely makes me want to do a mood board.

10. Gina Amante says:

Looks fantastic! Love, love, love the backsplash especially!

11. Monica says:

This looks great! I am planning on purchasing a mood board for myself for my birthday next month!