I have a treat for you today. I’ve worked on this mood board for almost a year…since we broke ground in the basement back in March of 2012. I finally feel like it is done and ready to share. Hopefully over the next month or so this mood board will come to life in my basement.
I feel like the basement is an opportunity to unleash my design personality full force. I am not holding back here. I want the basement to be fun and full of energy.
The family room color palette will be a mix of yellow, chartreuse, navy, and some turquoise for good measure. The paint color is Martha Stewart Tailor’s Chalk. I intentionally kept the walls white, so I could play with bold colors and patterns on the furniture and accessories. (Side note: Normally I would never recommend white for basement walls, because in poorly lit spaces white looks very dreary. Our basement is a walkout and has tons of natural light, so the white is bright and beautiful on the walls.)
Here are the details of everything on the mood board:
- Bamboo Flooring in Toast – I cannot wait to get started on this project. Instead of the floor, this yummy bamboo will become a cool wall treatment.
- Mercury Glass Ball Finials – Simply gorgeous and feeding my mercury glass addiction. This set is a bit pricey. I did find a solo version for a more modest price: Mercury Glass Orb Finial.
- EcoSmart Fireplace – Having an ethanol burning fireplace has been a dream of the mine and hubby for a long time! We love the modern lines of this freestanding version that can be used indoors or out. We skipped having a traditional fireplace installed knowing we’d be saving our pennies up for this guy. He will be a stunner in front of the bamboo wall.
- Anson Chairs – We are relocating our yellow Anson chairs from the office to the new basement family room. They hardly get any use in the office. Although we paid about 50% of retail for them at the Room & Board Outlet, they were still an investment and one we’d like to get more daily use out of.
- Ampersand – Just a fun accent piece. Not only is there an ampersand in Teal & Lime, that I am fond of, but we also used to call ourselves J&J since both of our names start with J. I used to sign our cards and write our return address as J&J Hernandez. Well, now it is J&J&J&J, because the boy’s names start with J too. Don’t worry though we are not like the Kardashians with the letter K…our dog’s name is Sofia :)
- Oblique Yellow Vase – I like the unique geometric shape of this angular vase.
- Wood and Antiqued Mirror Serving Tray – I want a nice tray to keep the remote and maybe set a water glass on the end table. If you follow me on Facebook, you know I snagged this guy on sale at Target yesterday for $35, and that was before my RedCard discount.
- St Jude Ceramic Owls – What would a room in my house be without a cute owl? Or two?
- Concerto Frames in Lemon – I’d like to keep some more family pictures around in this space. Upstairs we only have the gallery wall, but no smaller framed pictures. I want to frame smaller pictures and rotate them out more frequently.
- Chelsea Sectional – We already own this sectional, and sadly it has been in storage in our garage for the last 8 months while the basement was being finished. Can’t wait to get it out. It will be getting a new DIY slip-cover in a pretty light grey fabric.
- Alchemy Pillow in Citron – I love the abstract pattern on these pillows. In a lucky find, I just picked up two of these from HomeGoods for $25 each. I normally don’t buy pillows, I like to make my own, but I could hardly buy this size down insert for $25!
- Essex Upholstered Bench – The dark blue fabric and turned legs are so beautiful. We have a large leather ottoman that I am hoping to recover in the same West Elm fabric (you can buy all their fabrics by the yard). I will have to see about swapping out the feet on the ottoman for something a bit more shapely.
- Aimee Wilder Yellow Zigzag Rug – This rug made me believe I could use yellow and chartreuse in the same room together. I originally planned a yellow, navy, turquoise basement, but chartreuse kept sneaking it’s way in. This rug will give me license to run with it. Now, I just need to find this rug on sale!
- Dipped Wood Box – I don’t have many trinkets, but I can hardly pass up a cute trinket box.
- Mini Treasure Pot – Again, how could I pass up a cute trinket box…especially a miniature one? Maybe I will start a mini collection of dipped wood trinket boxes.
- Coqo Floral Curtain – This curtain was love at first site. I just love the modern floral pattern. My hubby even approves :)
- H – So next to owls, monogram H’s might be my second favorite decor item!
- Hadley Book Boxes – I found a set of these at HomeGoods for about half the price. You can see them here styled with my painted glass jars.
- Recycled Glass Lamp in Aqua – I plan to DIY some similar lamps. I have already found tall aqua glass vases to use as the lamp bases. I will be sure to share a post on how I convert them to lamps.
- Hand Painted Honeycomb Chest – I originally found this chest for a client’s mood board, but I can’t get it out of my mind. I think the navy is beautiful and I really like the honeycomb design. If I don’t buy a pair of these, you can be sure I will be DIYing something very similar. We need to large chests for the end tables by the 10 ft. sectional.
- Love Pillow – Simply fun.
- Silver Cermic Stool – Ceramic stools are always a great, functional accent piece. I love this sliver one. It will add a little glam to the room.
- Mason Dresser in Navy/Walnut – This dresser was the inspiration for a DIY project currently underway to rehab this retro dresser into a TV stand.
What do you think? Can I get away with the yellow and chartreuse in the same room?
Sharing this mood board here:
Design Your Dwelling
Take a Free Decorating Class Today
Get instant access to my best decorating secrets. Enter your name and email address to watch the free Styling Secrets Workshop now.
This free class is only available for a limited time so make sure you watch before Oct. 11th.
You're in! Please check your email for access to the workshop.
Hi, I'm Jackie
I believe you are the best person to decorate your home and I'm here to help.
Learn More About Me
Join Me on Facebook