I have a treat for you today. I’ve worked on this mood board for almost a year…since we broke ground in the basement back in March of 2012. I finally feel like it is done and ready to share. Hopefully over the next month or so this mood board will come to life in my basement.
I feel like the basement is an opportunity to unleash my design personality full force. I am not holding back here. I want the basement to be fun and full of energy.
The family room color palette will be a mix of yellow, chartreuse, navy, and some turquoise for good measure. The paint color is Martha Stewart Tailor’s Chalk. I intentionally kept the walls white, so I could play with bold colors and patterns on the furniture and accessories. (Side note: Normally I would never recommend white for basement walls, because in poorly lit spaces white looks very dreary. Our basement is a walkout and has tons of natural light, so the white is bright and beautiful on the walls.)
Here are the details of everything on the mood board:
- Bamboo Flooring in Toast - I cannot wait to get started on this project. Instead of the floor, this yummy bamboo will become a cool wall treatment.
- Mercury Glass Ball Finials – Simply gorgeous and feeding my mercury glass addiction. This set is a bit pricey. I did find a solo version for a more modest price: Mercury Glass Orb Finial.
- EcoSmart Fireplace - Having an ethanol burning fireplace has been a dream of the mine and hubby for a long time! We love the modern lines of this freestanding version that can be used indoors or out. We skipped having a traditional fireplace installed knowing we’d be saving our pennies up for this guy. He will be a stunner in front of the bamboo wall.
- Anson Chairs - We are relocating our yellow Anson chairs from the office to the new basement family room. They hardly get any use in the office. Although we paid about 50% of retail for them at the Room & Board Outlet, they were still an investment and one we’d like to get more daily use out of.
- Ampersand – Just a fun accent piece. Not only is there an ampersand in Teal & Lime, that I am fond of, but we also used to call ourselves J&J since both of our names start with J. I used to sign our cards and write our return address as J&J Hernandez. Well, now it is J&J&J&J, because the boy’s names start with J too. Don’t worry though we are not like the Kardashians with the letter K…our dog’s name is Sofia :)
- Oblique Yellow Vase - I like the unique geometric shape of this angular vase.
- Wood and Antiqued Mirror Serving Tray – I want a nice tray to keep the remote and maybe set a water glass on the end table. If you follow me on Facebook, you know I snagged this guy on sale at Target yesterday for $35, and that was before my RedCard discount.
- St Jude Ceramic Owls - What would a room in my house be without a cute owl? Or two?
- Concerto Frames in Lemon - I’d like to keep some more family pictures around in this space. Upstairs we only have the gallery wall, but no smaller framed pictures. I want to frame smaller pictures and rotate them out more frequently.
- Chelsea Sectional - We already own this sectional, and sadly it has been in storage in our garage for the last 8 months while the basement was being finished. Can’t wait to get it out. It will be getting a new DIY slip-cover in a pretty light grey fabric.
- Alchemy Pillow in Citron - I love the abstract pattern on these pillows. In a lucky find, I just picked up two of these from HomeGoods for $25 each. I normally don’t buy pillows, I like to make my own, but I could hardly buy this size down insert for $25!
- Essex Upholstered Bench - The dark blue fabric and turned legs are so beautiful. We have a large leather ottoman that I am hoping to recover in the same West Elm fabric (you can buy all their fabrics by the yard). I will have to see about swapping out the feet on the ottoman for something a bit more shapely.
- Aimee Wilder Yellow Zigzag Rug - This rug made me believe I could use yellow and chartreuse in the same room together. I originally planned a yellow, navy, turquoise basement, but chartreuse kept sneaking it’s way in. This rug will give me license to run with it. Now, I just need to find this rug on sale!
- Dipped Wood Box - I don’t have many trinkets, but I can hardly pass up a cute trinket box.
- Mini Treasure Pot – Again, how could I pass up a cute trinket box…especially a miniature one? Maybe I will start a mini collection of dipped wood trinket boxes.
- Coqo Floral Curtain - This curtain was love at first site. I just love the modern floral pattern. My hubby even approves :)
- H – So next to owls, monogram H’s might be my second favorite decor item!
- Hadley Book Boxes – I found a set of these at HomeGoods for about half the price. You can see them here styled with my painted glass jars.
- Recycled Glass Lamp in Aqua - I plan to DIY some similar lamps. I have already found tall aqua glass vases to use as the lamp bases. I will be sure to share a post on how I convert them to lamps.
- Hand Painted Honeycomb Chest - I originally found this chest for a client’s mood board, but I can’t get it out of my mind. I think the navy is beautiful and I really like the honeycomb design. If I don’t buy a pair of these, you can be sure I will be DIYing something very similar. We need to large chests for the end tables by the 10 ft. sectional.
- Love Pillow – Simply fun.
- Silver Cermic Stool - Ceramic stools are always a great, functional accent piece. I love this sliver one. It will add a little glam to the room.
- Mason Dresser in Navy/Walnut - This dresser was the inspiration for a DIY project currently underway to rehab this retro dresser into a TV stand.
What do you think? Can I get away with the yellow and chartreuse in the same room?
Sharing this mood board here:
Design Your Dwelling
Hi, I’m Jackie
I believe your home should be a reflection of you. My home style is DIY Modern…handmade, simple, and fun, just like me!
Learn More About Me
Join Me on Facebook