I scored so much great decor, or soon-to-be-great decor, for under $20. I took Young House Love’s Unofficial Macklemore Thrift Shop Challenge. With only $20 in my pocket I took some ridiculous pictures of myself, bought some great pieces, and ended up with only 30 cents left in my pocket.

I decided to check out a new-to-me Goodwill by my son’s school. It seemed bigger than the one by my house.  In lame fashion, I did not have a $20 bill, so i went in with my 10, 5, and five 1s.  It is what I had on me.

thriftshopchallenge

I took a seat in this crazy rocking chair…totally like the ones Macklemore walks on in his video (watch it here).  It was pretty comfortable, but so ugly!

uglychair

Then, I got serious and did some shopping. I found two glass containers, like used at restaurants, that would be perfect string dispensers.  I found a yellow tart tin to add to the collection I started for the studio.  I also added a cute Siletti ceramic milk carton and a couple small embroidery hoops to my basket.  I checked out for $7.98.

goodwillfinds

Didn’t seem right to leave $12 on the table, so I stopped by the other Goodwill on my way home :)  I found a bunch more great stuff.  I ended up leaving the second store with an even bigger bag.  The total for my second stop was $11.72, leaving me with 30 cents after both stops.

goodwillfinds3

Before I left I felt compelled to try on a big a$$ fur coat for the scavenger hunt part of the challenge.  I was already wearing a big a$$ coat, because I live in frigid Minnesota, but I took mine off to try on this crazy big, itchy faux fur number.  I think I will stick with my coat, although it was fun to pop up that huge fur collar.

bigfurcoat

So here is everything I bought for under $20.  There is so much potential here.

goodwillfinds2

At the second stop I found the large wooden candle holders and the small round Capiz shell box.  I also found two Target pieces.  Seems like they give a lot of things to Goodwill.  The wood urn is actually part of this finial, but it was missing the top.  The bottom was only $1.99 and I thought it could make a cool vase.  Then I spotted this wood tray.  It is actually the bottom piece of this butterfly cloche.  Also at $1.99, I couldn’t pass it up.

I was so excited about my finds I already started transforming them.  Yesterday I shared my first mini-video on Vine, showing how I used the wood urn as a cool vase for a bunch of hydrangea.  (Side note: Have you tried out Vine?  I think I am already hooked!)

I measured the inside of the round wood tray before a trip to HomeGoods yesterday.  I found a glass container for $9.99 that fit perfectly inside.  Now it reminds me of these cool wood-based glass vessels at West Elm.  I think mine looks pretty cool displaying a pile of sisal rope.

woodbasevase

I already put my favorite turquoise baker’s twine and jute twine in the glass containers.  They make super cool twine dispensers.  The jute twine is stuffed in there, but the string pulls from the center of the roll.

twineholders

Lastly, I added a photo to the tart tin.  I am planning a whole gallery of them for my studio office.

thriftshopmakeovers

I am still working on the large wooden candlesticks, and the embroidery hoops.  I will share their transformations over the next week.

I linked up to the YHL Thrift Shop Linky.  Please click over and check out everyone else’s thrift finds :)

15 Responses to Thrift Shop Challenge

1. Amy Fretz says:

This is hilarious! Totally brought laughter to my day and inspired me in the home decor re-make department to boot as well! I want to take the challenge too!

Oh Amy…were you laughing at my pictures? It was totally awkward taking pictures of myself in a thrift store. I am sure other shoppers thought I was crazy!

• Amy Fretz says:

Jackie, You look great and not awkward at all! Keep the fun coming! I’m so shy and take myself way too seriously but love to do wacky things like this. I told my husband that next date night we are doing this! He laughed. I working on getting my blog up and running! If it goes live soon I’ll post my silly pictures of the challenge!

2. Bethany says:

Cute finds! I worked at Target in High School and college and they used to donate a lot to goodwill. Once it reached a certain clearance point and didn’t sell, they would donate it. It seemed like they donated to smaller town goodwills though (so not the one in the town the Target was in, maybe the next town over).

Bethany, I see Target stuff at ours all the time…some still in the box. We live in Target-land here (Minneapolis is Target HQ), so I thought maybe it just happened here. Cool to know they do it everywhere.

3. First of all, I love the vine video. You did a great job using it here. Secondly, saw the twine in the sugar jar thing in Martha and thought it was brilliant! Your photos are more amazing and she didn’t have any resources to pin. Bummer. Thanks for sharing!

4. Eveline says:

that was a good hunt! I really love the candle holders, they remind me of the ornaments you made (the ones that match the white key)….

5. Wow! Now that’s effective thrifting! Stopping in from YHL. :)

6. Sara says:

You found a lot of great stuff! I only came away with a cute pink pyrex bowl and some shoes. My goodwill in VA always has a ton of Target stuff too, I love it when I find something I really wanted to buy but wasn’t willing to pay for it, shows up at the Goodwill for $1!

7. Gwen says:

I’ve heard bigger cities like my sis says Seattle has great ones…does help…I’d never been in one until looking for silver stuff for some display areas at my daughter’s vintage wedding. Even in my town there was great stuff!! You never know what you find! And I’m helping a good cause too. But you must make this rule: you must donate two bags for every bag you purchase! Lol

8. Felicia says:

Hi! I popped by through YHL, and I LOVE your finds! Such clever repurposing of the sugar dispensers and even pie tin!! Awesome!

9. Carla says:

Great finds and love how you used them all. I just saw the string in the sugar shaker trick somewhere else too – great idea for keeping it contained and looks so cute as well.

10. I can’t believe how much you got for under $20!! That’s pretty darn impressive!

I also did the challenge and found this awesome pink vintage pitcher, but other than that it was pretty empty at my thrift store.

And I can’t wait to see where those wooden candle holders end up!

11. chrissy says:

that tart tin is absolutely gorgeous! as is the milk dispenser. amazing finds!