It finally feels like the furniture plan for our living room is complete. It has been a long journey with lots of changes, but we made it. The room is fully furnished. We can comfortably seat lots of adults for entertaining. The finishing touch was definitely the Boden Wing Back chair. But, I realized there is a pair of chairs on the other side of the room that got a transformation I never told you about. Months ago I recovered the slipper chairs.
I have this thing for upholstering furniture in unconventional fabrics. I recovered my dining chairs in tablecloths, and a matching bench. So, it might not seem strange that I upholstered the slipper chairs in my living room with curtain panels.
Buying yardage of upholstery fabric gets pricey fast. For lower cost alternatives, I turn to table cloths and curtains. If the fabric is a good weight (think thick and moderately heavy), then it can be used for upholstery.
The living room slipper chairs used to be beige & coral. They were pretty…pretty enough to lure me into buying them…but they didn’t belong in my home. I always knew I would recover them.
I found beautiful turquoise velvet curtain panels at World Market. I love velvet upholstery. I bought two 108″ long panels, giving me 3 full yards of fabric for each chair. The panels retail for $49.99 each, but I got mine during a 50% off sale. That equates to less than $8.50 per yard.
I am a total novice at upholstery. The best tip I ever read is to pay close attention to how the chair was originally upholstered. So, when I removed the original upholstery fabric I took note of where it was stapled, how the corners were folded, how the fabric wrapped around the legs, etc. I also like to save all the original pieces of fabric until I am done, if I need to take a look at them to refresh my memory.
I purchased an inexpensive tack puller at Home Depot to help remove all the staples. I took on the tedious work of removing all the staples, being careful not to rip the original fabric. I striped off all the existing upholstery until the chair was naked…just foam and batting.
Once I removed all the fabric, I used the pieces as a pattern to cut my curtain panel fabric. I pinned the original fabric directly to my curtain panels and cut out all the pieces.
When I dismantled the original upholstery, I saved all the cotton cording inside the piping. I reused it to make piping in my new fabric. If the cording isn’t salvageable or you want to add piping to a chair that didn’t previously have it, you can buy cotton filler cording that looks like this:
To recover the cording, I wrapped a the strip of fabric (cut from the pattern of the original fabric) around the piping and pinned it.
I like to use my invisible zipper foot on my sewing machine to sew right along the cording. To add the piping to my new seat cover, I sandwiched it in between the seat and side pieces. I continue to use the zipper foot to sew the piped seams to make sure I can see really close to the cording.
Having paid attention to how the chair was originally upholstered, I was easily able to recover the seat. I slipped over the seat pieces I had sewn together. I made sure the piping lined up nicely along the corners of the cushion. I flipped the chair over and staple the fabric all the way around, making sure to pull the fabric tight. It helps to place a few staples in the center of each side and then work the rest of the way around.
The curtain fabric has a bit of stretch to it, which can be good and bad for upholstery. I think next time I would look for a fabric with less stretch to elimnate some of the puckering I experienced on the side of the chairs.
The back was a bit trickier but still pretty easy. The front piece wrapped around and stapled on the back. I folded the corners and the cutouts by the back supports the same as how the chair was originally upholstered. For the back panel, I reused the cording to make the piping. I stitched the piping all the way around the back panel fabric piece. There was a piece of loose thin foam under the back panel. I stapled the foam on first. Then I stapled on the back panel. I stapled right in the seam between the piping and the back panel fabric. I had to push the piping to the side a bit to get the staples in there, but once they are the piping hides them.
The finished chairs are a beautiful soft velvety blue. Now these chairs belong in my home. The aqua blue completes my Midwest summer color palette in this room.
The curtain panel fabric has held up really well over the last four months. The boys have spilled milk and juice on them, but light stains come out with a damp cloth.
I think this classic slipper chair style will serve us for many years to come. And, with the easy to upholster style I can recover them again in the future. For now, we are loving them in their new velvety goodness.
Sharing this post on Remodelaholics Anonymous Link Party.
REVIVE ONE ROOM IN YOUR HOME THIS WEEK
In just 15 minutes a day for 5 days, you can refresh one room. Without spending a dime.
Start your free 5-day Decorating Do Over Challenge and get exclusive sneak peeks of my book Free Decorating.
Hooray! Please check your email for the mini course welcome message.
Hi, I'm Jackie
I believe you are the best person to decorate your home and I'm here to help.
Learn More About Me
Join Me on Facebook