Oooh…do I have a treat for you today.  I have finally made a video tutorial for my easy envelope pillow covers!

I have done two posts on my easy envelope pillow covers (here and here).  They are two of my all time most popular posts.  I rarely buy pillow covers, because I know how to make my own easily and inexpensively.  Today I want to share my method again via a video tutorial.

I made a dozen pillow covers recently in under an hour!!!  The slew of pillows is for the game room.  While I was at it, I recorded the process.  In this video, I cover two methods for making envelope pillow covers.  One method only requires two seams.  The other is great for pricier fabric you only want to use on the pillow front.

After the video come back here to take a look at my tip for inexpensive feather pillow inserts and tips for purchasing fabric to make pillow covers.

How easy was that?  Seriously, it took you longer to watch the video to learn how to make these pillow covers, than it will actually take you to make one.

So who’s going to be sewing pillow covers this weekend??

27 Responses to Easy Envelope Pillow Covers {Video Tutorial}

1. Jessica W. says:

What kind of sewing machine do you have? I’m considering buying my first one, and would love some recommendations. Thank you! Love your blog!

Jessica, my machine is a Brother Project Runway Edition. I have had it for almost 5 years and adore it. If there is enough interest I may need to do a post on it, because it has so many great features…the best is no pedal foot. It has a start/stop button with a speed adjustment. I can use it sitting on the floor or standing up at a counter. I have also had and been happy with Singer sewing machines.

My serger is a Babylock Imagine. It is more than needed to do pillow covers. Mine has automatic threading and lots of other fancy things. I do love it, but I would recommend a more basic less expensive model for beginners.

• valerie says:

I had asked you about your machine before too. Your machine (brother Pc 420) has excellent reviews. It is available for a great price on Amazon right now and is also sometimes available on Overstock. I’ve been doing tons of sewing machine research myself lately!

Yes, Valerie. It really is an awesome machine. I truly believe this machine makes sewing easier. I remember the most intimidating part of sewing for me was learning to control the speed with the pedal foot…no need to worry about that with this machine. I also find this one really easy to thread and change bobbins.

2. I have been wanting to learn how to make my own pillows for forever! Thanks, this is great!

~Sarah

3. Jessie says:

LOVE IT!!!
    man, i need a serger(sp)!

it looks waaaay too easy! Could it be!?!?

Jessie, I LOVE my serger. It is so quick and you don’t have to pin, because it feeds the fabric evenly and trims the edges as it goes. So great if you plan to make lots of pillows. I used to sell pillows, which is why I have one. I still use it often though…mostly for pillows, but it is also great for slipcovers!

4. Jessica Lundgren says:

This is perfect! Thanks so much. I am going to be making a few pillow covers soon and this will be very helpful.

5. Lindsey says:

Another great video! This is next weekend’s project.

6. jessvii says:

I love this tutorial! So much easier than reading instructions. Also, this is the first time I’ve ever seen a serger working. I’ve heard about them, but it’s different to actually see one. Seems less intimidating that way :).

Thank you, Jess. So glad I could show you a serger in action. I think sewing machines and sergers are more intimidating before you see how they work. I did edit the sound of the serger in the video, because it is actually pretty load and intimidating.

7. Sara says:

Love your blog! Thanks SO much for the video tutorial. Just made my first pillow cover! And it was SO easy! Can’t believe I’ve put it off for this long! Now to make some more pillow covers for my couch!! Thanks again!

8. Carol says:

Thanks to your video tutorial, yesterday I was able to sew three pillow covers in very little time. They look great. I did a blog post about them and linked your video. Love your blog!!!

Carol, Thank you for the mention in your post. Your pillows look fantastic. Love that you opted for lighter fabrics on the dark leather couch.

Hi Jackie-
    I just made four envelope pillow covers yesterday. I’m embarrassed to say that it took me about four tries to get it right. The first pillow was too short so there is just an opening and not an envelope. The second pillow opening shifted while I sewed so it’s off a bit. I figured out if I pinned the envelope like you did for your serger it didn’t slip. The last pillow turned out the best once I made sure the pattered material was matching up. Thank you for doing the video. It was helpful to stop and start it again as I was making them.

10. Jackie, I am SO using this tutorial this week. I have it on my TO DO list to make some decorative pillows for our master bedroom. We just got some new bedding, and I think it’s time to create some coastal decorative pillows to match. This tutorial was SO clear and easy to watch on video…thanks for empowering a beginner sewist like me to give it a go!

11. [...] a really easy video tutorial by my buddy Jackie from Teal & Lime, which you can check out HERE.  I’ll share more of my tips on creating the pillow cover and finding inexpensive pillow [...]

12. Sarah says:

Thanks so much for this video tutorial! I am a visual person and I’m trying to get back into sewing a bit so I can’t wait to make some pillow covers now that I know exactly how!!!

13. Susanna says:

I just made my first pillow using this tutorial and am so proud! Although I came AWFULLY close to sewing itright side out. It was quite helpful. I used the same fabric for front and back. It was so easy and rewarding. Thanks for taking the time to make this video and publishing it!

14. Beth says:

I made my first ever pillow! Many thanks.

15. Eva says:

Hi Jackie, do you think an Ikea 20 inch pillow insert can fit in these 18×18 pillow covers? Also, I don’t have a quilting ruler, but approximately how many inches are the folds from the edges in the continuous pillow covers? Thanks so much!

Eva, For a 20 x 20 insert, I would make your covers at least 19 x 19 inches. Plump pillows are good, over-plump pillows will put stress on the seams of your pillow cover and cause gaping at the closure. You can use a regular ruler or tape measure to make your fold measurements.