Do you love gold foil art as much as I do?
There is something so special about typography or images pressed onto paper with gold foil. It just gives a simple piece extra dimension, like the gold foil glasses on my husband’s nightstand.
Unfortunately, gold foil printing isn’t really a do-it-yourself activity. It involves big machines, and die cuts, and heat to stamp the foil onto the paper. Here is a quick look at the foiling process.
The good news is, I have a DIY solution that is super easy and quick!
To create gold foil-inspired prints at home all you need is gold leaf and a glue pen. You can find gold leaf at the craft store. I highly recommend getting the package that says “ready leaf”, which means the gold leaf is already applied to wax paper and easier to work with. Any fine-tip glue pen should work. I like my Martha Stewart glue pen.
Gold leaf has quickly become one of my favorite craft mediums to work with. In this tutorial you will see why. Once you get the hang of it, gold leaf is really fun and easy to work with.
5 Steps to Create Custom Gold Leaf Lettering
1. Start by printing out your desired phrase. With Valentine’s around the corner, I chose “Crazy for You”.
2. Tape the paper to be gold leafed over the print out. I used some paper from one of my kid’s sketch books. Any art paper will work, but make sure you can see your printed letters through the paper.
3. Working in small sections, trace the lettering with your glue pen.
4. Apply a sheet of gold leaf to the glue. Rub it onto the lettering with your fingers. I like to go back and trace over each letter with my finger to make sure the gold leaf adheres well. Remove the gold leaf sheet.
5. After all the gold leaf is applied, gently rub off any loose gold leaf with your finger to reveal your phrase. Try rubbing back and forth and in circular motions to get all the loose bits off.
Easy right? I am not sure it is a process I would do on hundreds of wedding invitations, but it is perfect for making some instant art!
I taped mine to an old clip board with some hot pink striped wash tape. I used glitter tape to make the arrows on the clipboard. This is going to be a fun accent on my Valentine’s Day mantel this year!
Okay, tell me, what phrase would you gold leaf? And would you make an art print or a card for a special someone?
Hi, I’m Jackie
I believe your home should be a reflection of you. My home style is DIY Modern…handmade, simple, and fun, just like me!
Learn More About Me
Join Me on Facebook