The room is *almost* done. You think. But maybe you’re not sure. Will it ever really be done?
When is enough enough?
There is always more you could do, more you could add, more inspiration to steer you a different way. So, it makes sense to think that decorating is never really finished.
While your home and your style will evolve over time and there will always be another room to tackle, I think there is point when enough is enough (for this room, at least for the time being).
When you go past enough, a cycle of over-decorating sets in. Where nothing is ever good enough. Nothing is ever done enough. There is no enough.
10 Signs You Might Be Over-Decorating
1. You’re still actively pinning inspiration pictures to a Pinterest board for the room you swear is *almost* done.
2. Your hubby/significant other/roommate/mother is sick of hearing you say, “It just needs one more thing.” Followed by, “I’m just not sure what.”
3. When you go shopping, you make it a mission to find something to add to the room and whatever you find by golly you’re going to make it work.
4. You enter a daily stare down with your ceramic dog
to see who looks away first wondering if he would look better over there or there or there.
5. Every time someone comes over they say, “Oh, you changed this room again.” Behind your back they whisper about how you seem to have nothing better to do.
6. There is so much decor on every surface, it’s crying out for breathing room like people in an overcrowded elevator stuck between floors.
7. Guests feel awkward sitting on your sofa. They’re uncomfortably perched on the edge, because there are too many pillows to lean back. And they’re afraid to move for fear of knocking over something on your meticulously decorated end tables.
8. You’re still apologizing for the room. You say things like, “I’m almost finished with it” or “I’m still working on it a little bit.” While whoever’s ear you are gnawing off (especially the guest with only one cheek on the sofa cushion) thinks it looks done, stick a fork in it, and for the love of everything stop telling me about it.
9. Your decorations have decorations. The devil is in the detail and good decorating is layered, but when you start adding fringe to your lampshades because you’ve run out of other changes to make, it might be too much.
10. You decorate your home like they paint the Mackinac bridge. As soon as they finish re-painting the 5-mile bridge, it’s time to start over at the beginning. You move through your house like a decorating storm and as soon as you finish, you start over again at the beginning. Hobby-schmoby.
I am not suggesting you don’t ever make changes to a room once you’ve decorated it, but there is an end point to decorating.
It’s only healthy at some point to stop decorating the home and to start living in it.
P.S. I’ve completed the Mackinac Bridge Walk, walking across the longest suspension bridge in the Western Hemisphere. It scared me, especially walking over the grates watching the water swirl below. But I definitely recommend adding it or a similar bridge walk to your bucket list. (Just an idea for something to do when you take a break from decorating.)
Hi, I’m Jackie
I believe your home should be a reflection of you. My home style is DIY Modern…handmade, simple, and fun, just like me!
Learn More About Me
Join Me on Facebook